[virtmach] lambda

Ceri Storey cez@nomorespam.freeserve.co.uk
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:17:31 +0000

on Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 12:33:06AM +0100, Ewald Pfau denied that:
thanks to all those who replied, but i guess I'm in over my head here.
(i haven't been to university yet, and am not really familiar with som of
the more 'interesting' VMs that exist, or even a forth one.)

i guess what i was looking for is an opcode that would take an arbitrary
number of opcodes from the instruction stream, an d make a closure from them.
It would be interesting as far as dynamic compilation goes, but otherwise
something better left to a compiler. certainly. it would only really be an
issue if you invented your own compact storage mechanism (a la ELF/coff/etc)
i guess, since ... erm, i'll have to think about it for a bit i guess.
[random mumble] or even the equivalent of (eval) for bytecodes.

% Grin -- the Y-combinator, which is taught in every Scheme book as a big,
% convoluted patch of code, is only a couple of words in Forth.  IIRC, it's
% something like "DUP EXECUTE"
% > Stephen Pelc, sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
% -Billy
I taught myself scheme, and as far as i can tell it's only:
(define (Y f) (f f))
how a large lump of code is needed for that -- i don't know.
--
-----------| Ceri Storey
   _\|/_   | http://cez.freeshell.org/