[virtmach] Thanks and pointers

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja@cc.helsinki.fi
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:07:41 +0200 (EET)

I'd like to thank everyone for the great references you've
given, and thought I'd share as well.  I'd like to say I'm
'working' on something, but I'm rather new to virtual machine
territory :-).

I've found the papers of the GNU Forth author M. Anton Ertl to
be in-depth and enlightening.  His dissertation was on the
details of various methods of implementing stack machines.

The main page is:

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/projects/forth.html

with at least the following relevant papers:

* "Implementation of Stack-Based Languages on Register Machines"
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/papers/ertl96diss.html

This is composed of three main parts: Interpretation
techniques, Native-Code compilation, and Translation to C.

The most interesting thing here (I think) is a description of
dynamic and static stack caching techniques for interpreters.

* "Local Stack Allocation"
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/papers/maierhofer&ertl98.ps.gz

Allocating variables on the stack within basic blocks for JavaVM
and another stack machine.

Joonas Pihlaja
jpihlaja@cc.helsinki.fi