[virtmach] Definition a virtual machine ?

David Rush kumo@bellsouth.net
17 Nov 1999 12:22:07 +0000

Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org> writes:
> >: Laurent Martelli
> > How would you define a virtual machine ?
> A virtual machine to me is just another name for a calculus;
> i.e. some stuff with a semantics (preferably an operational semantics;
> preferably one that can be effectively implemented).

I sent a message to the list last night that apparently went into the
bit bucket, that essentially said this.

> Although I agree that a virtual machine may very well
> be described in terms of an abstract grammar (whose nodes are roughly
> categorized by an "API"), without any specification for the underlying
> representation of syntax trees.

Examples? Web-pointers? I find this notion fascinating. Has anyone
written a VM compiler using these kind of tools?

david rush
--
Censorship may be useful for preservation of morality, but can never
be so for its restoration.  - Jean-Jacques Rousseau