[virtmach] bytecodes and stacks

Laurent Martelli martelli@iie.cnam.fr
28 Nov 1999 23:30:18 +0100

  Ceri> The questions are: Is it possible to just push/pop things off
  Ceri> one stack, allowing for things like global-variables and
  Ceri> locally bound ones (eg. let in scheme)? or would several be
  Ceri> needed, leading to a towers of hanoi like situation, when you
  Ceri> needed to reference a variable form an earlier "stack frame",
  Ceri> not a fun soulution.

While stacks are enough from a computational point of view, I think it
won't be very helpfull if you want to store "persistent" values, like
the balance of your bank account. I think that you'll need some kind
of dictionnary, so that you can refer to object with a UID.

--
Laurent Martelli
martelli@iie.cnam.fr