[virtmach] Implementing VMs efficiently

Sean McDirmid mcdirmid@cs.utah.edu
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:34:39 -0700 (MST)

Cool link! Its about time, eventually many of the embedded VM people want
to head in this direction. Sun has expressed interest in taking KVM to
that level. I will bet that these technologies will take over the market
eventually and we won't see monolithic virtual machines anymore, people
will begin to stop thinking at the device level...just as people stopped
thinking in assembly language a while ago.

There are a lot of other interesting transformations one can do at a
server besides compilation. Kimera did some rewriting of bytecode (mind
you it was only doing bytecode verification and not compilation) to
enforce security policies without modifying the client VM. I envision the
mappings becomming more complicated, e.g. the application may have to
utilize many devices to provide a service to the end user, the application
would have to be distributed and the compiler would have to decide the
communication mechanisms.