[virtmach] Daily virtmach digest V2 #1

Ralph Corderoy virtmach@iecc.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:31:00 +0100

Hi Kyle,

> There was a bit of Q&A posted about Parrot on the use Perl site and
> one of the questions was "register based?".  The response indicated
> that a register-based VM is more efficient than a stack-based VM even
> on x86 (at least that is how I read it).

I haven't followed any Perl 6 stuff, but Bell Labs's Inferno OS used a
VM which was register-based, IIRC.  It was one of its many advantages
over Java in that area.  And they've published various papers on it, at
least one of which covers the VM design.

Google for Inferno, you might find the papers at the Vita Nuova site
these days.

Cheers,

Ralph.