[virtmach] Ping

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Thu May 27 20:34:46 PDT 2004

;)

Ok. Now that I've hopefully got someone's attention, I've been messing with
VMs for the better part of a couple years. My current project is a little
fancier than the last I posted on the list (If anyone remembers CHIP ;)) In
fact, before long is started looking a bit like parrot :) (great minds think
alike I say) But I'm not aiming for the same audience as parrot, and I want
to write a vm (quite a few people have thrown the "wheel reinvention"
argument at me, my answer is "I want to")

So far my setup has a computed goto dispatch system, OO base type,
simple opcode format with semi variable arg count (5 max). And a (so far)
simple optimization layer that will pre-dereference certian opcode arguments
(objects etc). No GC atm. I'll probably start with a simple refcounting
system, or if I can figure out a good way to do a mark/sweep algo, I'd do
that.

I'm still in the middle of rewriting the typesystem, but I thought I'd tell
people about it, and maybe get some pointers, and possibly see what others
are doing (I already keep up on parrot's development, not that I understand
it all :))

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net