[virtmach] MS Common Language Runtime

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 02:03:19 +1000

On 21-Aug-2000, thaddaeus.frogley@creaturelabs.com <thaddaeus.frogley@creaturelabs.com> wrote:
> From what I've heard (not first hand experience) its "compatable with Java".
> I don't know if thats Java VM or Java language, but if its VM, then it going
> to be bytecode...

That would have to be the Java language.  The MS VM is not compatible
with Java bytecodes, I'm pretty sure.

The compatibility with the Java language is still theoretical, as MS
have not released a Java compiler for their VM, and neither has anyone
else announced one.  However, the basic model that the MS VM is built
on is essentially a superset of Java, so I don't think there would be
any particular difficulty in doing so (just SMOP).

--
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.