[virtmach] MS Common Language Runtime

btanksley@hifn.com btanksley@hifn.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:38:28 -0700

From: Peter_Murray@allegiance.com.au

>Has anyone taken a look at the new Microsoft Common Language
>Runtime?   It
>seems to be more like Oberon's slim binaries rather than bytecodes.

I haven't looked at it, but the Python NG discussed it at great length (some
of us are porting Python to it).  It is a bytecode system, but it differs
from Java in that the bytecodes are not typed.  This means that there's more
room for different codes, and it also allows more typechecking (since you
can enforce types with a single instruction which takes the required type as
a parameter).

Seems like a good idea to me.  It's not like slim binaraies, though.

-Billy