[virtmach] Implementing VMs efficiently

Stephen Pelc sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 12:09:59 -0000

From:           	Sean McDirmid <mcdirmid@cs.utah.edu>
> But usually if the cost-sensitive nodes are receiving the code over a
> network they are with communication of large computing resources that can
> do sophisticated back-end compilation on their behalf. I've toyed with
> this in a couple projects (kimera.cs.washington.edu,
> www.cs.utah.edu/~mcdirmid/ghost).

I'll have a look at the references. Thank you.

The problem with using external resources is that the node
vendor now has to expose implementation details. In many cases a
back-end linker is now required, and the program delivery
mechanism now has to know about the target node. This defeats
the primary objective of many virtual machine implementations
for cost-sensitive applications. Having program servers is fine
in a workstation/PC environment such as ANDF and its incarnation
in OSF, but becomes a maintenance and certification nightmare
for embedded systems.

I believe that tuning the VM for easy back-end compilation is a
more commercially viable approach.

--
Stephen Pelc, sfp@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
tel: +44 1703 631441, fax: +44 1703 339691